It's All About The Quality Of Life
The history of Oakland dates back to 1830 when the property was first purchased by Mr. Lee Jordan. Mr. Jordan left his mark on the plantation, building a church for the employees that is still in existence today as Jordan Grove Baptist Church.
After Mr. Jordan’s death, his widow, Ilah Dunlap Jordan, married Mr. J.D. Little, a Columbus attorney and president of Southwestern Railroad. The Littles constructed a small train station and shipped milk, butter and eggs from Oakland Crossing to other towns across south Georgia. The property was purchased in 1940 by Eugene Funston, of St. Louis.
Mr. Funston was the largest pecan sheller in the United States at the time and is responsible for the many pecan orchards on the property. He also enjoyed Oakland for hunting and training dogs.
In 1963, the property was purchased by a local Albanian, Mr. O.D. “Peck” Carlton, a very successful businessman and owner of the Carlton Caterpillar dealership for southwest Georgia. He used the plantation primarily as a hunting retreat and wildlife preserve, and passed away in 2000 leaving the property to his three daughters.
In 2003, Oakland was sold to seven Albany businessmen: Barry Carr, C.H. Carr, Bruce Melton, David Campbell, John Temp Phillips, Dell Bush and Jim Bacon.
Building on a foundation of Southern hospitality and regional responsibility, Oakland Plantation is taking the lead in promoting convenient country living while providing all of the comforts of living close to town. The community has continued to grow to include beautiful homes, churches, a county library, bank, medical facilities, grocery store, daycare facility and a veterinary hospital.
Growing from a modest beginning in the 1830s, Oakland Plantation has changed hands over the years, but its beauty and charm have never faltered. Oakland is a place rich in history with a vision for the future that will continue to grow and stand the test of time.